Wednesday 20 July 2011

VCT Grand Opening

Tomorrow will be the grand opening of the VCT as well as my goodbye party at Shibwe! We have advertised the official opening throughout the village and expect many to come. The hospital has even invited church members to pray for the VCT and sing for my farewell. Plus, they want me to give a speech and cut the opening ribbon. I have been planning this day all week, moving boxes to clear out the Nurses’ Office, painting the walls, putting up flyers, etc. We even have a Plan B in case too many people show up to be tested. (We will be opening other rooms in the hospital for counseling.) Wish us luck tomorrow!

Tomorrow will also be my last day with my host family. In the evening, I will be staying at Sheywe Guest House, and waking up early for my flight from Kisumu to Nairobi where I will have a convenient 12-hour layover to explore Nairobi. And then off to Amsterdam and finally Los Angeles. I CANNOT believe how quickly the time has gone by! I will write my final post at home. But for now, I have a lot left to do – a grand opening and a million goodbyes.

PS. I have a total of 15 mosquito bites…on my left foot. Thank god I am taking antimalarials!

1 comment:

  1. Alexis, your blog has been absolutely engrossing. We can't wait to read each new post. Thanks for sharing your adventures in Africa.

    ReplyDelete